Call for submissions
Show and sale of book illustration art by CANSCAIP Members and Friends
CANSCAIP is delighted to offer Members and Friends an opportunity to show and sell their children's book illustration artwork at two juried shows, under the banner Capturing Your Imagination: The Art of Storytelling.
Members and Friends are invited to electronically submit up to 3 separate book illustration pieces, as well as concept work and sketches that demonstrate the progression of how the final piece was created.
CANSCAIP is contracting a curator to prepare these shows. All submissions will be evaluated by the curator and a jury. Artwork selected will be exhibited in one or both shows.
Two juried shows in 2014 will be presented:
- The first show is at Humber College's Lakeshore Campus L Gallery from October 1-19, and leads up to our Packaging Your Imagination conference. The show will be open to the public, Humber students and staff.
- The second show is at Inspire! Toronto International Book Fair (TIBF) from November 13-16 at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre. The show will be open to the public, as well as to publishers and other exhibitors.
Applicants: Must be Members or Friends of CANSCAIP in good standing.
Fees: Applicants will be charged a $40 (total) registration fee to participate. The fee is for up to 3 pieces of artwork for consideration for both shows, and helps cover CANSCAIP's costs associated with the shows.
Please register and pay the submission fee using the REGISTER button in the upper left corner.
You will receive an email with submission instructions, once your payment has been processed.
- You may submit up to 3 separate pieces of book illustration artwork (fewer than 3 is OK too).
- For each piece of artwork, email three to five 300 dpi jpegs that show a progression (e.g., concept, sketches and final art) of how the final art was created.
- Title jpegs with your name, book title, publication info (if applicable), materials used, date created, and dimensions.
Send to email@example.com by September 4, 2014, with "YOUR NAME: Illustration Exhibitions 2014 Submission" in the subject line.
Only those whose work is selected will be contacted.
Framing: If selected, work must be framed in time for the shows. Illustrators are responsible for the costs of professional framing their pieces.
Shipping: If selected, work must be delivered to CANSCAIP's office in Toronto by September 20. The cost of shipping and insurance is to be covered by participants.
Sales: Illustrators may choose to sell work exhibited at both shows. The curator can provide guidance for pricing work.
PLEASE NOTE: Any sales transactions will be between the purchaser and illustrator. CANSCAIP, Humber College, and TIBF will not receive any proceeds from the sales.
Marketing: Promotion of the exhibitions will be handled jointly by CANSCAIP, Humber College, L-Gallery, and TIBF. We encourage participating illustrators to publicize the shows to family and friends, on their websites, via social media, etc. Illustrators can also make available marketing material, such as bookmarks or brochures, for on-site distribution.
On the evening of Friday, October 17 there will be a reception at Humber College's Lakeshore Campus L-Gallery; CANSCAIP members, publishers, editors and art directors will be invited.
Indemnity: CANSCAIP, Humber College and Inspire! The Toronto International Book Fair are not responsible for any damages incurred at any point in the exhibition process, including shipping. Insurance for works is the responsibility of the illustrator, and by submitting your fee you agree to bear sole responsibility for any damages or loss.