- Canadian citizens or permanent residents over the age of 18.
- Unpublished writers or self-published writers with no professionally published books for any age and not currently under contract with a publisher.
- Writers are eligible if prior publication is limited to stories, articles or poems in collections, textbooks, magazines, etc.
- NOTE: Writers retain full copyright of their entries.
- Up to 1,500 words in English, fiction or non-fiction
- Text only; no illustrations
- Word or PDF document; we cannot accept links to file sharing sites.
- 11 or 12-point plain font (e.g., Times Roman or Arial—no fancy fonts!) double-spaced with 1-inch margins
- Select one category for your entry: Picture Book (PB), Middle Grade (MG), Young Adult (YA); if you aren’t sure, see Book Categories for information.
- For PB: Submit complete text or up to 1500 words. No illustrations, but you can include brief illustrator notes about essential visual elements that are not carried by the text.
- For MG and YA: Submit first chapter and additional chapters/excerpts up to 1,500 words
- Previously submitted entries can be resubmitted
How to Set Up Your Entry
1. On PAGE ONE of your entry, include:
- Your name, email, phone, mailing address
- Category of your entry (Picture Book, Middle Grade, Young Adult)
- Title of your story
- Summary of your story including key characters, plot and ending (up to 250 words)
- Where your entry fits in your story (e.g., first chapter and eighth chapter)
- Bio/summary of your writing experience (up to 100 words)
2. Follow this format for the FILE NAME of your Word or PDF entry:
- Category abbreviation: PB = picture book | MG = middle grade | YA = young adult
- Hyphen between each word (no spaces)
- Example: PB-Jones-Mary-The-Little-Bunny
Entry Submission Form & Uploading Your EntryNOTE: You don't have to submit your entry on the day you register. After you've registered, you can submit your entry whenever you want, right up to the May 31 deadline.
PLEASE NOTE: CANSCAIP will not be able confirm that each uploaded entry has been received. However, you'll hear from us if there's a problem. After the May 31st deadline, we cross-reference all the registrations with the entries we've received. If an entry is missing, we'll contact the writer to send it to us.
- After you've registered, you'll get a confirmation email that includes a link to an online entry submission form.
- The entry submission form includes the upload function for your Word or PDF entry.
- You'll complete a separate entry submission form for your entry, and then upload your entry.
- If you've registered for 2 or 3 entries, you'll complete an separate entry submission form for each one, and you'll also upload each entry separately. If all your entries aren't ready for upload, you can complete additional forms at a later date.